Become A Certified Yoga Teacher (CYT)
BENEFITS: Becoming an AYP Certified Yoga Teacher has many benefits, including:
1) Professional recognition. Becoming an AYP Certified Yoga Teacher establishes your credibility as the highest in the field.
2) Affordability. Not only is the CYT designation the marker of knowledge and experience among yoga teachers, the cost for certification through The AYP is lower than through any other organization.
3) Community. Becoming a Certified Yoga Teacher allows students of yoga, as well as other teachers, to connect with you and learn about your offerings through The AYP member directory.
ELIGIBILITY: In order to become an AYP Certified Yoga Teacher, you must have:
1) Successfully completed a Yoga Teacher Training;
2) Been teaching consistently (at least one class per week) for a minimum of two years.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED FOR YOUR APPLICATION:
1) The certificate of completion from your Teacher Training;
2) The name(s) of your teacher(s) and their contact information;
3) A credit card or PayPal account to submit applicable fees.
HOW TO APPLY:
1) Complete and submit The AYP Application.
2) Once you submit your application, you will be asked to submit your $40 annual membership fee and a one-time $35 administrative fee.
3) After submitting your fees, an account will be created for you. Go to your account, and when you are ready, you may take The CYT Level 1 Certification Exam, which you will find in your “enrolled courses.” (Please note: In most cases, it will take 2-3 weeks to process your application. You do not have to wait until your application has been processed to take the exam, but if you want to make sure your application has been accepted before taking the exam, you are welcome to do that).
4) Once your application has been accepted and you have successfully passed The CYT Level 1 Certification Exam, you will officially become an AYP Certified Yoga Teacher. In order to maintain your certification, you must take and pass the “Karma of Ethics” course (found on the AYP “Programs” page) within 90 days of becoming certified.
Note: If you do not pass the Certification Exam on your first attempt, you will have two more opportunities to take it. You must wait one month before re-attempting the exam. The questions will likely be similar, if not the same, though the order of the questions will likely be different. If you have any concerns about acquiring the requisite knowledge to pass the exam, you can always visit Yoga Teacher Central to brush up on your knowledge base. You are encouraged to write down any questions you may not know the answer to in order to guide your study.